I’m going to drum fire two ceramic figures today – it will be a first!
I am going to sagger each figure in foil to protect them and to see how the organic materials I am adding might colour the figures.
I wrapped two lengths of ceramic insulating fabric around the steel drum just above the second air vent, securing the fabric in place with galvanised wire. I plan to pull the fabric down to cover the air vents, and place the lid on the drum, once the fire is really going. Firing time is about 4 hours and will then leave it all to cool completely before removing the figures.
1. The ceramic figures
- Wrapped fresh and dry banana peels around each figure securing with a bronze wire.
- Base layer of foil and a layer of sawdust – this will create a black colour where the sawdust touches the ceramic.
- Added pieces of rusted steel, table salt and copper sulphate.
- Sealed the foil wrapping to make a parcel
2. Into the drum!
- The steel drum is large – added sawdust to the level of the second air vent.
- Put the two foil-wrapped figures into the sawdust.
- Trailed three spirit-soaked lengths of fabric into the drum.
- Placed layer of wood pieces in and around the bin about 30cm below the surface.
- Lit the fire by lighting the fabric lengths.
- As the fire grew I added more wood.
- Once the fire was really going I pulled the ceramic insulating fabric down over the air vents and place the lid over the top. Ideally I would have a chimney lid but I don’t!
I have left it over night (about 18 hours) and will see how things work out tomorrow!…..
Another interesting YouTube film about sawdust kiln firing